From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 03:06:23
In Reply to: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w by rocwhite168
1 rocwhite168 wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967<at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> I did some googling. Seriously grasping at straws here. Do you have
6 >> SMP enabled? If so, do you really have a multiprocessor or multicore
7 >> machine? I ask beause I did find where someone else had SMP enabled and
8 >> it shouldn't have been. I noticed it shows it is enabled in the config
9 >> you posted earlier. Also, make sure you have the correct CPU selected
10 >> too. I think you do tho from what I saw in the config. Also make sure
11 >> you have the correct partitions in fstab too. I know I'm bad to mix
12 >> those up sometimes or just leave out a "/" mark.
13 >>
14 >> Another thought, are you sure that the drive partitions are sda and not
15 >> hda? I still use the old drivers and mine are hda but some are using
16 >> the new drivers which are sda. Just wanting to make certain. Grasping
17 >> at one more straw.
18 >>
19 >> I'll do some more thinking and put a little more wear and tear on google.
20 >>
21 >> Dale
24 > Thanks again for your suggestion! I tried to switch off SMP and recompiled the
25 > kernel, but the problem persists. I'm sure I'm using the newer driver so I think
26 > the partitions should be called sda.
27 >
28 > On the other hand, if I can ever succeed in eliminating the irq problem with
29 > genkernel, I would be very happy too! It's really frustrating sometimes...
30 >
31 > Roc
35 I'm not sure what else to try at the moment. I see some others have
36 joined in tho so maybe they will have some ideas.
37
38 As I pointed out to someone in another thread, sometimes genkernel works
39 and sometimes it doesn't. Once you get a working kernel, updating will
40 be easy enough.
41
42 I'm thinking.
43