From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem with v86d
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 20:38:21
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc <at> gmail.com> writes:
6 > > > like that driver. I can't remember what it complained about, but it
7 > > > means no X at all.
8 > >
9 > > If you're not booting in EFI mode, then you can use vesafb instead. This
10 > > doesn't require v86d and doesn't even require an initrd.
11 > >
12 > > uvesafb is mostly for non-PC or generally platforms where a BIOS is not
13 > > available (EFI on a PC also lacks BIOS), and it achieves that through
14 > > v86d. vesafb uses the BIOS directly, so v86d is not needed.
15 >
16 > Spock is Michał Januszewski
17 >
18 > A physics type with keen interests in chipsets; loads of Frame
19 > Buffer info on his blog. He'd be a keen resource for you. Seems
20 > he has vanished from the gentoo scene?
21 >
22 > spock@g.o
23 >
24 > http://mjanusz.wordpress.com/
25 >
26 > http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=XSjXVbQAAAAJ&hl=en
27 >
28 > http://mjanusz.github.io/homepage/
29 >
30 > I'd rather think he's one of those "really sharp" but hidden
31 > physics folks, who very much likes Gentoo and privacy.
32
33 I will check him out, I have been using uvesafb for years.
36 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
37 How do
38 you spend it?
39
40 John Covici