From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 03:16:04
1 On 04/28 07:32, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On 04/28/2017 02:59 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 > > On 2017-04-28 10:10, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > No. I meant you can't enable them *all* globally, meaning opengl,
6 > > > gles, egl, etc. It's kind of the same situation as with GUI toolkits,
7 > > > you can't enable them all globally because some packages support more
8 > > > than one that you have to choose at compile time.
9 > >
10 > > I think we need to spell out what you mean by this:
11 > >
12 > > > > > if any of them have egl or gles and not opengl then enable it.
13 > >
14 > > by "not having opengl" do you mean that it's not in the package's IUSE
15 > > at all, or that it is disabled?
16 >
17 > On the sentence prior to the one you quoted I advised the OP to enable
18 > opengl globally. Therefore, if a package has it then it is already enabled.
19 > So obviously I meant if it doesn't have it at all.
20 >
21 > > by "enable *it*" do you mean enable opengl, or enable those other flags?
22 >
23 > For the same reason stated above I can only be refering to those other
24 > flags. Those are the flags that control GL acceleration. If you want your
25 > system to use your GPU as much as possible then you need to enable at least
26 > one of them on all the packages that support it. If a package has more than
27 > one it's between you and portage which one you choose because some packages
28 > depend on one or the other. So I find it easier to enable opengl first and
29 > then work through the conflicts to enable the others as much as possible.
30 >
31 > --
32 >
33 > Fernando Rodriguez
36 Hi,
37
38 before changing my system I took a look at
39 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Hardware_3D_acceleration_guide
40
41 Down the page there is a test, whohc on my system reports:
42 glxinfo | grep rendering
43 direct rendering: Yes
44 GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
45 GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,
46 GL_NV_packed_float_linear, GL_NV_path_rendering,
49 For me it reads like: Yes, you have hardware accelerated rendering.
50
51 Or did I miss something...?
52
53 Cheers