From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: In search of an truecolor-capable terminal emulator
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 23:32:34
1 On 04/28/2017 02:59 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2017-04-28 10:10, Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
3 >
4 >> No. I meant you can't enable them *all* globally, meaning opengl,
5 >> gles, egl, etc. It's kind of the same situation as with GUI toolkits,
6 >> you can't enable them all globally because some packages support more
7 >> than one that you have to choose at compile time.
8 >
9 > I think we need to spell out what you mean by this:
10 >
11 >>>> if any of them have egl or gles and not opengl then enable it.
12 >
13 > by "not having opengl" do you mean that it's not in the package's IUSE
14 > at all, or that it is disabled?
15
16 On the sentence prior to the one you quoted I advised the OP to enable
17 opengl globally. Therefore, if a package has it then it is already
18 enabled. So obviously I meant if it doesn't have it at all.
19
20 > by "enable *it*" do you mean enable opengl, or enable those other flags?
21
22 For the same reason stated above I can only be refering to those other
23 flags. Those are the flags that control GL acceleration. If you want
24 your system to use your GPU as much as possible then you need to enable
25 at least one of them on all the packages that support it. If a package
26 has more than one it's between you and portage which one you choose
27 because some packages depend on one or the other. So I find it easier to
28 enable opengl first and then work through the conflicts to enable the
29 others as much as possible.
33 Fernando Rodriguez