From: "W.Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless WPA and ipw2200 problems
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:45:02
1 I use the sourceforge ipw2200 stuff - never could get the kernel stuff
2 to work, even on simple networks.
3
4 bunyip ~ # esearch ipw2200
5 [ Results for search key : ipw2200 ]
6 [ Applications found : 2 ]
7
8 * net-wireless/ipw2200
9 Latest version available: 1.1.3
10 Latest version installed: 1.1.3
11 Size of downloaded files: 399 kB
12 Homepage: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
14 miniPCI and 2225BG PCI adapters
15 License: GPL-2
16
17 * net-wireless/ipw2200-firmware
18 Latest version available: 3.0
19 Latest version installed: 3.0
20 Size of downloaded files: 791 kB
21 Homepage: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/
23 miniPCI and 2225BG PCI adapters
24 License: ipw2200-fw
25
26 The above works! It might also be a good idea to bypass as much as
27 possible of gentoos networking scripts (from experience,
28 esp /etc/conf.d/net), at least until you get a working setup, then you
29 can roll the changes back in and test as you go.
30
31 They just do not work well when you have a dozen or more networks using
32 vpn's, wireless. wired, wep, plain and wpa - mainly I think because of
33 the way its documented means that while they tell you how to do many
34 things, they dont tell you how or why, so its too easy to shoot oneself
35 in the foot. I suspect they are trying to be all things to every
36 possible combination, and fail dismally with wireless and laptops! And
37 until I found a udev workaround, multiple network cards in a server :(
38
39 BillK
40