From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Force app to use specific outgoing ip address?
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 02:40:33
1 On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 06:45:18PM +0800, Crayon Shin Chan wrote
2 > I have a gateway machine with a single NIC but several virtual IP
3 > addresses. I have several instances of apache running, each bound to
4 > listen on their own virtual IP address. All the instances of apache are
5 > running in proxy mode. What is happening now is that all the apache
6 > instances use the 'main' IP address for all outgoing connections.
7 >
8 > What I would like is for each instance of apache to use their own virtual
9 > IP address for outgoing connections. Is it possible to rig iptables to
10 > achieve this? And how would I do this?
11
12 Can you...
13 - create a bunch of dummy users (nobody0, nobody1, nobody2, etc)
14 - and launch each apache instance as a different user
15
16 If so, you can take advantage of netfilter/iptables ability to match
17 on user. Run just like now, but forward packets to a different address
18 based on owner. Here's the help info from "make menuconfig"...
19
20 | CONFIG_IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER: |
21 | |
22 | Packet owner matching allows you to match locally-generated packets |
23 | based on who created them: the user, group, process or session. |
24 | |
25 | To compile it as a module, choose M here. If unsure, say N. |
26 | |
27 | Symbol: IP_NF_MATCH_OWNER [=y] |
28 | Prompt: Owner match support |
29 | Defined at net/ipv4/netfilter/Kconfig:296 |
30 | Depends on: NET && INET && NETFILTER && IP_NF_IPTABLES |
31 | Location: |
32 | -> Networking |
33 | -> Networking support (NET [=y]) |
34 | -> Networking options |
35 | -> Network packet filtering framework (Netfilter) (NETFILTER |
36 | -> IP: Netfilter Configuration |
37 | -> IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT) (I |
40 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
41 Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?
42 A. I think it would be a good idea.
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list