From: Rohit Sharma <bhavhit@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unusual DVD-RW behavior?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 07:49:49
1 Jeff wrote:
2
3 >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb 18 05:29 cdrom -> hdc
4 >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb 18 05:29 cdrw -> hdc
5 >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb 18 05:29 dvd -> hdc
6 >lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Feb 18 05:29 dvdrw -> hdc
7 >brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 22, 0 Feb 15 12:55 hdc
10 It is probably fine as various programs look for different device names.
11 Since you'd play music CDs as well as write DVDs in that one device
12 only, links shall help those application find your current media.
13
14 >end_request: I/O error, dev hdc, sector 4
15 >cdrom: open failed.
18 are you trying to eject here and that fails? Or a boot? What are you
19 trying to do?
20 If it was my drive, and I was sure it was not dying on me - I would
21 probably not bother at all - unless it was unable to play music or write
22 media.
23 HTH,
24 Rohit
25 --