From: Paul Gibbons <paul@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 18:42:12
1 On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:07:24 -0700
2 Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > In December 2006 I started a thread titled "Is Gentoo Healthy?" in
5 > which I was roundly put down for raising the possibility that the
6 > decline in the number of Gentoo users could possibly affect the
7 > remaining Gentoo users in a negative way.
8 >
9 > Is everyone still toeing that line? The Gentoo Weekly Newsletter
10 > hasn't been published in almost two months. Is Gentoo destined to be
11 > just another distro starved for contributors and struggling to stay up
12 > to date? If so, I really misjudged it. The meta approach of Gentoo
13 > is superior to any other in my mind, and I think it's growth and
14 > potential are being stunted by the "we don't need them" attitude which
15 > perpetuates Gentoo's lack of usability features for beginners.
16 >
17 > Gentoo needs as many users as possible to reach its potential. It's a
18 > short-sighted mistake to think that non-contributing users do Gentoo
19 > no good. Non-contributing users become contributors as time passes.
20 > Car mechanics all start as car drivers.
21 >
22 > - Grant
23
24 As an experience Windows programmer who was moving into Linux last
25 summer I started off with Ubuntu. The ease with which it installed
26 and updated itself was a big surprise and pleasure. But then
27 as my knowledge grew I decided to use a more demanding distro which in
28 my case would allow me to learn more about how a Linux system works;
29 and so I chose gentoo.
30
31 Sure there was a hurdle of a couple of days to get it installed but I
32 have not come up against any problems apart from my own lack of
33 experience. All in all the choice was a good one.
34
35 Gentoo appears to be very stable and the e-builds seem to be quite up
36 to date - although I have to use the ~amd64 keyword on most packages as
37 x64 support lags behind x86.
40 One problem I have however is knowing how
41 to choose between all the different ways of doing things. I recently
42 tried to get the interface to my Kodak camera working and went down
43 several blind alleys before discovering that each actual alley was no
44 longer the best ways of doing things due to changes in the kernel or
45 new tools.
46
47 So sure on the surface things do not appear to be changing much in
48 gentoo but that does not mean it does not work - just that it is stable.
51 Paul
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list