From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to have init-scripts 'wait' for other servers
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 06:30:28
1 On Friday 04 September 2009 12:44:33 Carlos wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld a écrit :
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > Does anyone know if an existing method to have init-scripts on server A
6 > > wait for a service on server B to be started?
7 > >
8 > > Reason for this:
9 > > I have one server containing all the databases, one that operates as a
10 > > NAS and the DNS is running on server 3.
11 > > In order for the different machines to start correctly, I need to
12 > > configure it that server 3 starts the DNS before the other machines try
13 > > to access other machines (don't want to maintain hosts-files as it all
14 > > works fine once the servers are up and running)
15 > >
16 > > Also need to make sure the database and NAS is running before the
17 > > webserver starts.
18 > >
19 > > I tried to google for it, but I can't find a usefull search string that
20 > > will give me anything usefull.
21 > >
22 > > I don't mind reqriting init-scripts for this, but am looking for a way to
23 > > check if services are up and running from within the init-scripts.
24 > >
25 > > Thanks,
26 > >
27 > > Joost Roeleveld
28 >
29 > Monit may be able to meet your needs and reduce the amount of work you'd
30 > have to do to script this up yourself.
31 >
32 > http://mmonit.com/monit/
33 >
34 > An advantage of not touching the init scripts is that you don't have to
35 > maintain patches or deal with merge prompts when a package updates it's
36 > init script.
37 >
38 > Regards,
39 > Carlos
40
41 I will have a look at this. From the website it looks like it should be able
42 to do most of what I need.
43 Might need to reconfigure a few things (like not starting all services using
44 the 'normal' method, but I can live with that as long as monit can still tell
45 me what is running and what isn't...
46
47 (added bonus, it's in portage: app-admin/monit )
48
49 Thanks,
50
51 Joost