From: Benno Schulenberg <benno.schulenberg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Separate /usr
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 10:17:16
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 10 May 2007 10:41:04 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 > > Hm. I don't understand. Why is portage in a sparse file of,
4 > > let's say, 400m, with reiserfs and notail mounted, faster, then
5 > > a real partition of 400m with reiserfs and notail?
6 >
7 > No idea, but I tried it when I encountered that page and portage
8 > operations were measurably faster.
9
10 That might well be just the transfer effect: you went from an old
11 fragmented file system to a fresh unfragmented one.
12
13 Benno
14 --
15 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list