From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Splitting .mov files
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 20:07:29
1 On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 19:56 +0100, Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 26 April 2008, Hal Martin wrote:
3 > > I assume you want each piece of this file to be play-able? If you don't
4 > > care about that, just use split to chop them up into your desired size
5 > > and then use cat to reassemble them at the destination.
6 > >
7 > > *$ split –bytes=1m /path/to/large/file /path/to/output/file/prefix*
8 > >
9 > > 'man split' will also contain this information.
10 >
11 > Thanks! I didn't know about split.
12 >
13 > I am afraid that the split files have to be playable. I intend to upload them
14 > on a server for a MSWindows user to download and play. It has to be point &
15 > click skill level at the receiving end.
16
17 Hmm, theoretically it should be possible without re-encoding because
18 video files contain I-frames which are encoded without reference to
19 previous frames every x frames. With a media player you can only seek
20 through a video from I-frame to I-frame (I think ...).
21
22 If that assumption is right, it should be a relatively easy task.
23 Something like this might work:
24
25 mencoder -vf harddup -ovc copy -oac copy -of lavf -lavfopts format=mov
26 -ss 1:30 -endpos 3:00 -o output.mov input.mov
27
28 explanation:
29 -vf harddup -> don't skip duplicate frames
30 -ovc copy; -oac copy -> don't re-encode audio and video
31 -of lavf -> use lavf for muxing
32 -lavfopts format=mov -> mux into mov-format
33 -ss 1:30 -> skip the first 1 min + 30 sec
34 -endpos 3:00 -> end input at position 3:00 min of the original film
35 -o output.mov -> write to output.mov
36
37 This command should result in a file containing a total of
38 3:00-1:30=1:30 min of film, however, seeking might be inaccurate
39 (searches next or previous I-frame) so both videos might overlap for
40 maybe a second or two or you could loose that amount time therefor
41 tweaking might be necessary.
42
43 Unfortunately, I couldn't test this because I have no suitable video
44 file at hand. If it works, tell me please, if not, post your results,
45 maybe I can look further into it.