From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sshd won't restart on remote system
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:05:24
1 >> After updating to the latest stable x86 openssh and merging config
2 >> files on my remote system, I get:
3 >>
4 >> # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
5 >> * Stopping sshd ... [ !! ]
6 >>
7 >> There is nothing in /var/log/sshd/current. Does anyone know what I should do?
8 >
9 > You could stop the sshd process manually with kill or similar (I use
10 > htop). (Careful though, you don't want to kill your current session,
11 > just the daemon listening for new connections!) Then you can "zap" the
12 > service and start it as normal.
13 >
14 > Or you could reboot the host, and (assuming it's in your default
15 > run-level) sshd will start on boot.
16
17 I could reboot, but how can I be sure sshd will start again? The fact
18 that it's not stopping makes me wonder if there is something wrong.
19 If it doesn't start I'm locked out of the remote system.
20
21 - Grant