From: Dan Wallis <mrdanwallis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sshd won't restart on remote system
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:42:14
1 On 12/11/2008, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > After updating to the latest stable x86 openssh and merging config
3 > files on my remote system, I get:
4 >
5 > # /etc/init.d/sshd restart
6 > * Stopping sshd ... [ !! ]
7 >
8 > There is nothing in /var/log/sshd/current. Does anyone know what I should do?
9
10 You could stop the sshd process manually with kill or similar (I use
11 htop). (Careful though, you don't want to kill your current session,
12 just the daemon listening for new connections!) Then you can "zap" the
13 service and start it as normal.
14
15 Or you could reboot the host, and (assuming it's in your default
16 run-level) sshd will start on boot.
19 Dan