From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] followup
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 19:23:15
1 On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 2:12 PM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 13:52:32 -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
4 >
5 > > turns out my problem was profoundly simple, I hadn't updated my portage
6 > > mirror list in either of the past two geological ages... (it should
7 > > have reported "WAITING ON FETCH" in the emerge update, that would have
8 > > saved me about 2 days figuring that out...)
9 > >
10 > > Mirrorselect actually worked. =O
11 > >
12 > > Perl cleaner or whatever it's called solved the rest... Actually just
13 > > turning on yet more verbosity allowed me to manually clean everything
14 > > out in a reasonable amount of time... My make.conf is starting to look
15 > > like a litany of verbosity enables.
16 >
17 > I take it the is the closest anyone can expect to an apology for the
18 > torrent of abuse in your previous email?
19
20 Simple solution for that stuff is to just kill the thread.
21
22 If you want help, then use an informative subject line and just
23 explain what is going wrong. When you post hysterical subject lines
24 and it just goes downhill from there I don't even bother reading the
25 messages. Nobody wants to see you suffer, but nobody around here is
26 obligated to help either, so at least try to be nice about it...
29 Rich