From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How many ways are there for a user to increase their permissions?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 18:21:09
1 On Friday 16 April 2010 23:13:34 Jonathan wrote:
2 > I'm trying to work out how many ways there are to increase the permissions
3 > of a user.
4 >
5 > 1: su -: Needs root password and you need to be in the group "wheel".
6 > 2: sudo: You need to be in the group "wheel" or in the /etc/sudoers file,
7 > using your own user password. I'm not counting gksu and gksudo they are
8 > just front ends.
9 > 3: sudoedit: This is the best way to edit text files, it uses the same
10 > rules as sudo.
11 >
12 > 4: Linux "Capabilities" or "caps": Which increases permissions on a
13 > per-file basis. e.g. removing SUID from ping and adding CAP_NET_RAW to
14 > ping. This is much safer than running the whole program as root.
15 > http://linux.die.net/man/7/capabilities
16
17 This is a first for me. I haven't used it before and it seems it is not set
18 up on my box by default.
21 Regards,
22 Mick