From: Samuel Ports <emu@×××.so>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 04:07:36
1 Modern version
2 http://www.babeland.com/hitachi-magic-wand/d/2487
3
4 Sent from my iPhone
5
6 On Sep 21, 2012, at 5:18 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7
8 > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:52:17 -0400
9 > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >
11 >> On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Alan McKinnon
12 >> <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
13 >>> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:25:49 -0400
14 >>> Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
15 >>>
16 >>>> Guys, this fell into politics, one of those categories of things
17 >>>> you don't discuss in polite company. Not that I'm accusing anyone
18 >>>> of being polite,
19 >>>
20 >>> Phew, glad to hear that last bit. You had me worried for a second,
21 >>> what with my reputation to uphold and all
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >>>> Now, could we go back to discussing software, packages, electronics
25 >>>> and amplifiers? I found that portion of the thread utterly
26 >>>> fascinating...
27 >>>
28 >>> That's a good idea. Would you like to hear about Hitachi Class H
29 >>> amps?
30 >>>
31 >>> I'm forever fascinated that I seem to be the only person that ever
32 >>> heard of them. Most techies know A, AB and B. Some know Class C but
33 >>> I get blank looks everywhere I mention Class H...
34 >>
35 >> I would indeed. And a primer (or reasonable reference for someone with
36 >> just a technician's amateur radio license) on class C. :)
39 > IIRC this was back in the late 70s or early 80s. Someone at Hitachi
40 > figured that amps (like code) spent 90% of their time doing 10% of the
41 > effort. If you had a 100W amp, it wasn't trying to drive 100W into the
42 > speakers all the time - only when the input signal was large enough.
43 >
44 > And yet, the power source for the output stages was permanently running
45 > at 70V or so (that's what it takes to get 100W into speaker coils back
46 > then). A transistor isn't a perfect isolator when biased off, so some
47 > of that voltage gets dropped somewhere (across the output transistors)
48 > and the result is a lot of wastage.
49 >
50 > wikipedia has a quite good summary of the usual classes - A, B, AB, C &
51 > D:
52 >
53 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_C
54 >
55 > But, Class H. A Hitachi engineer had a brilliant idea:
56 >
57 > Run the damn thing class A all the time (for the audio quality) but at
58 > around 24V. Heat generated is minimal. The power supply had a fancy
59 > voltage tripler circuit and when the input warranted it, the supply
60 > voltage would (very rapidly) switch over to the full 70V and the amp
61 > would deliver the full rated output. There was fancy circuitry in place
62 > to avoid distortion at the switch on point of course, but that is a bit
63 > OT.
64 >
65 > An interesting take on the problem. Mechanical engineers do this all
66 > the time with engines - turbos only kick in when you need the power
67 > boost they provide, the rest of the time the motor is in regular mode.
68 >
69 > I've promised myself for years since my apprentice days that I would
70 > one day built a valve amp from a kit. There's something about the warm
71 > glow from the tubes on a winter night that is appealing :-) I'd better
72 > hurry up and get on with it, I read that decent quality valves are
73 > becoming scarce and are generally only available from (what used to be)
74 > the USSR.
79 > --
80 > Alan McKinnon
81 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com