From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel options and udisk
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 21:18:55
1 On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:52:17 -0400
2 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM, Alan McKinnon
5 > <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 15:25:49 -0400
7 > > Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > >
9 > >> Guys, this fell into politics, one of those categories of things
10 > >> you don't discuss in polite company. Not that I'm accusing anyone
11 > >> of being polite,
12 > >
13 > > Phew, glad to hear that last bit. You had me worried for a second,
14 > > what with my reputation to uphold and all
17 > >> Now, could we go back to discussing software, packages, electronics
18 > >> and amplifiers? I found that portion of the thread utterly
19 > >> fascinating...
20 > >
21 > > That's a good idea. Would you like to hear about Hitachi Class H
22 > > amps?
23 > >
24 > > I'm forever fascinated that I seem to be the only person that ever
25 > > heard of them. Most techies know A, AB and B. Some know Class C but
26 > > I get blank looks everywhere I mention Class H...
27 >
28 > I would indeed. And a primer (or reasonable reference for someone with
29 > just a technician's amateur radio license) on class C. :)
32 IIRC this was back in the late 70s or early 80s. Someone at Hitachi
33 figured that amps (like code) spent 90% of their time doing 10% of the
34 effort. If you had a 100W amp, it wasn't trying to drive 100W into the
35 speakers all the time - only when the input signal was large enough.
36
37 And yet, the power source for the output stages was permanently running
38 at 70V or so (that's what it takes to get 100W into speaker coils back
39 then). A transistor isn't a perfect isolator when biased off, so some
40 of that voltage gets dropped somewhere (across the output transistors)
41 and the result is a lot of wastage.
42
43 wikipedia has a quite good summary of the usual classes - A, B, AB, C &
44 D:
45
46 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_amplifier#Class_C
47
48 But, Class H. A Hitachi engineer had a brilliant idea:
49
50 Run the damn thing class A all the time (for the audio quality) but at
51 around 24V. Heat generated is minimal. The power supply had a fancy
52 voltage tripler circuit and when the input warranted it, the supply
53 voltage would (very rapidly) switch over to the full 70V and the amp
54 would deliver the full rated output. There was fancy circuitry in place
55 to avoid distortion at the switch on point of course, but that is a bit
56 OT.
57
58 An interesting take on the problem. Mechanical engineers do this all
59 the time with engines - turbos only kick in when you need the power
60 boost they provide, the rest of the time the motor is in regular mode.
61
62 I've promised myself for years since my apprentice days that I would
63 one day built a valve amp from a kit. There's something about the warm
64 glow from the tubes on a winter night that is appealing :-) I'd better
65 hurry up and get on with it, I read that decent quality valves are
66 becoming scarce and are generally only available from (what used to be)
67 the USSR.
73 Alan McKinnon
74 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com