From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Updating a Standalone
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:39:39
1 On Friday 12 Aug 2011 11:16:10 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 08/12/2011 12:58 PM, dhk wrote:
3 > > I have a Gentoo Box that is a standalone with no internet access. Is
4 > > there a way I can update it by using my laptop?
5 > >
6 > > It would be nice to be able to sync a copy of my world list on my laptop
7 > > without clobbering my laptop's world list. Then do a fetch for the
8 > > standalone world and when on the console pf the standalone do the update
9 > > to the fetched packages on the laptop. The idea is not to have the
10 > > laptop as an image of the standalone, but as a server to sync to while
11 > > keeping the laptop's world separate.
12 >
13 > Er, can't you just give the box Internet access by using the laptop's
14 > connection?
15
16 Yes and in addition, set up your laptop as an rsync server for your desktop to
17 use, as well as a GENTOO_MIRROR.
18
19 I'm sure there's a wiki somewhere describing the ins and outs of setting this
20 up (there's more than one way to share distfiles - I use boa because of its
21 small footprint).
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick