From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Updating a Standalone
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:55:04
1 > On 08/12/2011 12:58 PM, dhk wrote:
2 > I have a Gentoo Box that is a standalone with no internet access.  Is
3 > there a way I can update it by using my laptop?
4
5 My immediate response is that a PCI/USB wifi card costs less than the
6 combined brainpower that you have had respond to this question.
7
8 My actual approach would be to set up the laptop as an rsync mirror, then:
9 laptop $ emerge --sync
10 (connect laptop to null-internet box via crossover cable + sync from laptop)
11 nointernet $ emerge --sync
12 nointernet $ emerge -pvfuDN world > getfile
13 (copy getfile to laptop, move laptop to delicious bandwidth)
14 laptop $ wget -flags getfile
15 (move laptop back to target machine)
16 laptop $ rsync gotfiles/* no-internet-box/usr/portage/distfiles
17 nointernet $ emerge -uDvN world