From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xfce-base/xfce ebuild is broken?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:43:05
1 Grant Edwards schrieb:
2 > On 2008-06-22, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> 1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
5 >>> can avoid these problems? Is there a database broken or
6 >>> not-broken status?
7 >> 1. You can not know before but you can monitor the irc channel
8 >> #gentoo-commits on freenode or the gentoo-commits mailing
9 >> list. So you know which changes are done to the portage
10 >> tree. Be careful this will cause heavy traffic to your
11 >> inbox.
12 >
13 >>> 2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
14 >>> that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken
15 >>> state during moves? (Maybe I'm just spoiled using
16 >>> Subversion...)
17 >> 2. I don't know if this is doable in one go.
18 >
19 > It's a rather fundamental feature of databases and revision
20 > control systems, so I guess I'd be a bit surprised that it
21 > can't be done that way.
22 >
23 >> The gentoo package maintainer adds the ebuild to its new
24 >> place and removes it from its old. When this is done he
25 >> changes the other ebuilds pointing to the old locations. He
26 >> also makes an entry in $PORTDIR/profiles/updates so the
27 >> /var/db/pkg is updated accordingly for already installed
28 >> packages.
29 >
30 > Wouldn't doing it the order below prevent problems?
31 >
32 > 1) Add ebuild in new location.
33 > 2) Change existing ebuilds to point to new location.
34 > 3) Delete ebuild from old location.
35 >
36 > If even that can't be done, why not have a "working" copy of
37 > the database where such changes are made and then push
38 > non-broken snapshots of database out to the public servers?
41 Right there are probably better ways to achieve this. You can always
42 file a bug if you think there is a way to improve this!
43
44 Regards,
45
46 Daniel