From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xfce-base/xfce ebuild is broken?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:35:42
1 On 2008-06-22, Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> 1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
4 >> can avoid these problems? Is there a database broken or
5 >> not-broken status?
6 >
7 > 1. You can not know before but you can monitor the irc channel
8 > #gentoo-commits on freenode or the gentoo-commits mailing
9 > list. So you know which changes are done to the portage
10 > tree. Be careful this will cause heavy traffic to your
11 > inbox.
12
13 >> 2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
14 >> that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken
15 >> state during moves? (Maybe I'm just spoiled using
16 >> Subversion...)
17 >
18 > 2. I don't know if this is doable in one go.
19
20 It's a rather fundamental feature of databases and revision
21 control systems, so I guess I'd be a bit surprised that it
22 can't be done that way.
23
24 > The gentoo package maintainer adds the ebuild to its new
25 > place and removes it from its old. When this is done he
26 > changes the other ebuilds pointing to the old locations. He
27 > also makes an entry in $PORTDIR/profiles/updates so the
28 > /var/db/pkg is updated accordingly for already installed
29 > packages.
30
31 Wouldn't doing it the order below prevent problems?
32
33 1) Add ebuild in new location.
34 2) Change existing ebuilds to point to new location.
35 3) Delete ebuild from old location.
36
37 If even that can't be done, why not have a "working" copy of
38 the database where such changes are made and then push
39 non-broken snapshots of database out to the public servers?
42 Grant
45 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list