From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xfce-base/xfce ebuild is broken?
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:24:20
1 Grant Edwards schrieb:
2 >>> Relax, there are currently a few pkg moves in xfce.
3 >>>
4 >>> xfce-extra/xfce4-icon-theme
5 >>> xfce-extra/terminal
6 >>> xfce-extra/ristretto
7 >>>
8 >>> This three are moved to other categories, sync again in a few hours and
9 >>> if it does not work file a bug!
10 >> plus xfce-extra/xfburn. This is WIP so maybe others are moved
11 >> too. Wait until the changes are done!
12 >
13 > OK, I'll try again tomorrow.
14 >
15 > This does prompt a couple questions:
16 >
17 > 1. How does one know when not to do a sync/update so that one
18 > can avoid these problems? Is there a database broken
19 > ornot-broken status?
20 >
21 > 2. Is there no way to "commit" a set of database changes so
22 > that the database doesn't have to be left in a broken state
23 > during moves? (Maybe I'm just spoiled using Subversion...)
24
25 1. You can not know before but you can monitor the irc channel
26 #gentoo-commits on freenode or the gentoo-commits mailing list. So you
27 know which changes are done to the portage tree. Be careful this will
28 cause heavy traffic to your inbox.
29
30 2. I don't know if this is doable in one go. The gentoo package
31 maintainer adds the ebuild to its new place and removes it from its old.
32 When this is done he changes the other ebuilds pointing to the old
33 locations. He also makes an entry in $PORTDIR/profiles/updates so the
34 /var/db/pkg is updated accordingly for already installed packages.
35
36 Regards,
37
38 Daniel