From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LDAP server questions
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 05:19:19
1 On 19 February 2014 05:11:12 CET, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 >On Feb 18, 2014 1:13 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 18 February 2014 06:03:02 CET, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
5 >wrote:
6 >> >Hello list!
7 >> >
8 >> >I'm planning to replace an Active Directory server currently
9 >> >functioning
10 >> >*only* as an LDAP server, with a dedicated Linux-based LDAP server.
11 >> >
12 >> >Now, the function of the LDAP server is at the moment:
13 >> >* Provide the settings database for Axigen email server
14 >> >* Provide group membership for BlueCoat proxy (who allowed to access
15 >> >what)
16 >> >* Provide group membership for FreeRADIUS
17 >> >* Provide group membership for Fortinet VPN
18 >> >
19 >> >The day-to-day management will be handled be another division, and
20 >I'm
21 >> >quite sure that they prefer a GUI, so the solution really should
22 >have a
23 >> >GUI
24 >> >support (either Windows-based 'client' or web-based admin console).
25 >> >
26 >> >Apparently, there are now many implementations of LDAP in the *nix
27 >> >world,
28 >> >such as OpenLDAP, OpenDS, ApacheDS, and 389DS.
29 >> >
30 >> >Have any of you experiences with them? Which one do you think is the
31 >> >most
32 >> >mature and supported? And, quite importantly, which one has a GUI
33 >> >front-end?
34 >> >
35 >> >Rgds,
36 >> >--
37 >>
38 >> Openldap has a webbased gui: phpldapadmin.
39 >>
40 >> Both are in the tree.
41 >>
42 >> I use this myself for all the user accounts. Allowing me to only
43 >maintain
44 >a single repository for all the services and desktops.
45 >>
46 >> Not been able to get ms windows to authenticate against it though.
47 >But
48 >that requires further tools to be properly configured. (Think samba as
49 >a DC)
52 >Interesting... thanks for the heads up!
53 >
54 >MS Windows authentication is not necessary, since this AD server is not
55 >used for that purpose...
56 >
57 >Rgds,
58 >--
59
60 If MS Windows is not necessary, then I can help with the config.
61 I got the following authenticating succesfully:
62 Linux accounts (PAM)
63 Apache
64 Egroupware
65 OpenKM
66 Samba
67 Squirrelmail and gallery authenticate against Apache
68
69 For these I can help you with the necessary config. For others we'll need to see what to configure where.
70
71 And backups are really easy with no downtime. (Export to LDIF)
75 Joost
76 --
77 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.