From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LDAP server questions
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 04:11:22
1 On Feb 18, 2014 1:13 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 18 February 2014 06:03:02 CET, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 > >Hello list!
5 > >
6 > >I'm planning to replace an Active Directory server currently
7 > >functioning
8 > >*only* as an LDAP server, with a dedicated Linux-based LDAP server.
9 > >
10 > >Now, the function of the LDAP server is at the moment:
11 > >* Provide the settings database for Axigen email server
12 > >* Provide group membership for BlueCoat proxy (who allowed to access
13 > >what)
14 > >* Provide group membership for FreeRADIUS
15 > >* Provide group membership for Fortinet VPN
16 > >
17 > >The day-to-day management will be handled be another division, and I'm
18 > >quite sure that they prefer a GUI, so the solution really should have a
19 > >GUI
20 > >support (either Windows-based 'client' or web-based admin console).
21 > >
22 > >Apparently, there are now many implementations of LDAP in the *nix
23 > >world,
24 > >such as OpenLDAP, OpenDS, ApacheDS, and 389DS.
25 > >
26 > >Have any of you experiences with them? Which one do you think is the
27 > >most
28 > >mature and supported? And, quite importantly, which one has a GUI
29 > >front-end?
30 > >
31 > >Rgds,
32 > >--
33 >
34 > Openldap has a webbased gui: phpldapadmin.
35 >
36 > Both are in the tree.
37 >
38 > I use this myself for all the user accounts. Allowing me to only maintain
39 a single repository for all the services and desktops.
40 >
41 > Not been able to get ms windows to authenticate against it though. But
42 that requires further tools to be properly configured. (Think samba as a DC)
45 Interesting... thanks for the heads up!
46
47 MS Windows authentication is not necessary, since this AD server is not
48 used for that purpose...
49
50 Rgds,