From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Poor mans audio in the world of the great Jack D.
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 18:04:00
1 <Meino.Cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > > media-sound/qjackctl http://qjackctl.sourceforge.net/
5
6 > And master James moved slightly and asked a simply question.
7 > Suddenly the novice was enlighted.
8 > He answers "It is used for my PC." And after a while he added:
9 > "I want to decode sstv and weather fax."
10
11 SSTV? really? now you are just teasing an old (EE) fart?
12 That's a real application, it just hard to keep the sync bit stable.....
15 > And in the distant a little radio whispers
16 > "Di da da di di da da da di da di di".
17
18 Once (in my youth) I dated a young, friendly lass, named 'Candy Morse'
19 do da da do da da..............!
22 > And the fog raises and everything becomes clear as it was in
23 > the beginning.
24
25 This is unknown to me; but you might find help if you get sstv audio
26 signals parsed out of your serial line signal, if I am to speculate
27 what you are really after? You may need a spectrum analyzer to identify
28 and isolate the audio signal since the signal is a superposition
29 (hybrid) signal. It might be best to filter the audio signal out
30 in the Rf domain, as opposed to it's digital derivative signal.
31
32 http://users.belgacom.net/hamradio/index.htm
33
34 under software he has rx-sstv for windoz. Get it working under doz
35 and then hunt for a linux setup, using windows to verify it
36 all works (hardware wise) first, is one possible path.
37
38 Also : http://www.dxatlas.com/SstvTools/
39
40 and in portage (just to be complete) media-radio/qsstv
41
42 Also verify the chipsets used (dongle?) and their reliability at various
43 frequencies. Those chipssets that are wideband, are always problematic,
44 imho........ Most of the crap (dongles) floating around are not very good.
45 Me, I'd go to the trouble to find a new chipset, including filters and
46 LNAs (low noise amplifiers) to build a decoder box. You could probably
47 sell them. If you go that route, drop to me privately.
48
49 Dowload PDF - Image Communication on Short Waves
50 www.sstv-handbook.com/download/sstv_04.pdf
53 good hunting!
54 James