From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: : Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerge --sync source
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 12:39:07
1 On Thursday, 7 March 2019 17:19:42 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote :
3 > > I can't recall the OP mentioning corrupt data, which is
4 > > usually the first thing observed with faulty memory.
5 >
6 > I did, actually, last Friday.
7
8 Oops! My mistake.
11 > Numbers of files in the portage tree suddenly
12 > changed owner (or group), and when I fixed that git complained that my
13 > numerous local changes would be lost and refused to sync. Of course I
14 > hadn't made any local changes.
15
16 OK, first port of call in these cases is a memory test. If errors are
17 reported then reseat the RAM modules. If the errors persist you're in the
18 market for replacement modules.
19
20 If no memory errors are reported it may be RAM is not to blame and other
21 causes should be investigated next.
24 > I've just ordered a new SSD; let's see how that goes. It's twice the size of
25 > the current one, so when it wears itself out I can move all the partitions
26 > to a new part of the disk and get a second life out of it.
27 >
28 > Thanks all for helpful contributions.
29
30 Did you run memtest86 and if yes, what did it report?
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick