From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:43:25
1 On 12/01/2010 02:27 PM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 29 November 2010 10:58:10 I wrote:
3 >
4 >> ... it'll be tomorrow before I have any emerging to do ...
5 >
6 > Well, what strange results. Desktop responsiveness is drastically
7 > improved. On the other hand:
8 >
9 > $ time (sudo emerge --sync)
10 > [...]
11 > real 10m3.185s
12 > user 0m6.331s
13 > sys 0m0.575s
14 >
15 > This is with a Gentoo rsync server on the same LAN segment. A P4 box on
16 > the same segment recorded about 65s for the same command - nearly 10
17 > times as fast.
18
19 Did you use ionice in your make.conf to set portage to idle priority?
20 It can have such an effect, though I never experienced such dramatic
21 slowdown myself.