From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] planned btrfs conversion: questions
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 21:05:30
1 OK, I am in the middle of copying over my data from my backups to the freshly
2 created btrfs file system :-) . Read more below.
3
4 Am Wed, 7 May 2014 00:53:07 +0200
5 schrieb Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>:
6
7 [...]
8 > While I am unsure of my choice of RAID level (some comments on LWN.net claim
9 > that the MD RAID 10 is more comparable to btrfs' RAID 1, which I will attempt to
10 > verify myself beforehand). However, due to btrfs' live rebalancing feature, I
11 > worry less about this. By the time I really need more space the RAID 5/6 code
12 > (and maybe N-way mirroring) ought to be stable (or at least finished), or I
13 > can switch to RAID 1 if I need the flexibility.
14
15 I went with RAID 10 for data and RAID 1 for meta-data. I will see how the disk
16 usage actually turns out and can decide from there whether I want to change
17 either one if I'm not satisfied.
18
19 > [...]
20 > > The reason why I would choose EXT4 for the SSD is that btrfs still lacks support
21 > > for swap files and I worry about creating a swap partition on the SSD. Is that
22 > > warranted, or will the wear-levelling of the SSD handle that just fine? Do swap
23 > > partitions support SSDs specially? Also, does anyone know whether EXT4 goes
24 > > beyond "merely" supporting TRIM? That is, the btrfs wiki advertises the
25 > > following:
26 > >
27 > > "SSD (Flash storage) awareness (TRIM/Discard for reporting free blocks for
28 > > reuse) and optimizations (e.g. avoiding unnecessary seek optimizations,
29 > > sending writes in clusters, even if they are from unrelated files. This
30 > > results in larger write operations and faster write throughput)"
31 > >
32 > > Does EXT4 also implement such optimisations for SSDs?
33 >
34 > I will also go ahead with this (despite the open questions), although I will
35 > leave swap on the LVM for now. I think tonight (well, today) I "just" want to
36 > get the SSD running. Furthermore, "btrfs convert" should be able to up-convert
37 > it in the future once btrfs is "production ready" (both articles make a
38 > guesstimate of about 1-2 years).
39 >
40 > I think I would also prefer running a few days from the SSD before converting
41 > "the rest" to btrfs, which should be fairly simple at that point.
42
43 So, as before, the conversion was straightforward, since the RAID + LVM only
44 contained /home and data, thus I could convert without rebooting (though I will
45 reboot once the backups are restored, just to see if that works as expected).
46
47 Anyway, I performed the following steps:
48
49 - remount all affected partitions read-only
50 - perform one last backup
51 - unmount the affected partitions
52 - shut down the logical volumes and the RAID (also, remove mdadm, mdraid and
53 lvm from all run-levels)
54 - run "mkfs.btrfs -f -m raid1 -d raid10 -L MARCEC_STORAGE /dev/sd{a,b,c,d}" (-f
55 because the HDDs still had a partition table)
56 - create subvolumes where I used to have separate partitions (adjusting
57 permissions where necessary)
58 - rsync /home from the backup drive (which was surprisingly fast)
59
60 What I am now in the middle of (2/3 of the way through) is syncing my media
61 partitions. After that, the conversion will be complete, and I will hope and
62 pray to our noodly overlord that I don't encounter any bugs.
63
64 [...]
65 > Thus the question arises: are there any show-stopper bugs in gentoo-sources
66 > 3.14.x that I should be aware about? They don't have to be directly btrfs
67 > related.
68
69 This is still an open question. I of course already upgraded prior to the btrfs
70 conversion and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, but I would be
71 interested in anybody else's experience.
72
73 One other thing I noticed: my old RAID had the distinct disadvantage that the
74 newest drive I had added to it had a different alignment than the old ones.
75 Since I had to copy the partition table from one of the existing drives, it was
76 not possible to accommodate this (though I only found out after recently
77 running "blockdev --getalignoff"). I suspect btrfs could be able to deal with
78 that better than mdraid, and searching for "alignment" on the btrfs wiki shows
79 results which heavily imply that it in fact can (quote from the description of
80 the btrfs_chunk data structure: "Optimal alignment parameters for block I/O").
81
82 Anyway, everything seems to be running fine so far :-) .
83
84 [...]
87 Marc Joliet
88 --
89 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
90 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup