From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best caching dns server?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 01:14:32
1 On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Nilesh Govindrajan
2 <contact@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> Slow connection. See my previous reply to the list. I'm using pdnsd,
5 >>> which can persist records and has every damn feature I wanted.
6 >>>
7 >>
8 >> Fair enough, but consider this:
9 >>
10 >> If your connection is slow, the only thing you speeded up is the DNS
11 >> lookups. Thereafter, everything else is still as slow as it ever was.
12 >> And if you feel the need to speed up DNS lookups then the odds are very
13 >> good that "everything else" is too slow i.e. not exactly usable.
14 >>
15 >> We get this a lot from our customers too, and the advise we give them
16 >> is to look closely at their traffic throttling. In almost every case
17 >> all UDP traffic has had the living crap throttled out of it somewhere
18 >> by folk that don't really think things through, severely affecting
19 >> dns and ntp as well as AV streaming.
20 >>
21 >> Throttled DNS rapidly gets out of hand, IIRC the last time we did some
22 >> measurements it only takes around 5% of dns lookups to go wonky for the
23 >> situation to rapidly spiral out of control - when dns fails the cache
24 >> will try a TCP lookup and that's like wading through molasses.
25 >>
26 >> Our advice to customers is to first unthrottle dns and ntp completely,
27 >> give it the highest possible priority (these are extremely light
28 >> protocols and seldom show up on the radar when you do this), and see
29 >> how that goes.
30 >>
31 >> It just seems to me that you *might* be trying a very unusual solution
32 >> for a problem that is better handled one layer lower down.
35 > Strictly speaking, my connection isn't too slow. I have a transfer
36 > rate of 64 K/s (might sound ridiculous to you, but this costs 18$/mo
37 > here).
38 > OpenDNS lookups from my connection take something like 300 msec+ and
39 > Google DNS lookups around 50 msec.
40 >
41 > I can obviously use Google DNS, but as I said earlier, OpenDNS gives
42 > me phishing protection and other that sort of stuff.
43 >
44 > And hence I must use a local cache.
45
46 Side note: Honestly, you should be using a local cache, regardless.
47 It'll improve performance for you, *especially* when there's any risk
48 of packet drops between you and the your ISP's core equipment. When I
49 was on a 6Mb/s-down ADSL connection, the improvement I experienced
50 simply from running bind9 as a recursive resolver was *massive*. I
51 still do so, even though I'm now on a pretty reliable cable
52 connection.
56 :wq