From: Nilesh Govindrajan <contact@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Best caching dns server?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 00:46:57
1 On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >> Slow connection. See my previous reply to the list. I'm using pdnsd,
3 >> which can persist records and has every damn feature I wanted.
6 > Fair enough, but consider this:
7 >
8 > If your connection is slow, the only thing you speeded up is the DNS
9 > lookups. Thereafter, everything else is still as slow as it ever was.
10 > And if you feel the need to speed up DNS lookups then the odds are very
11 > good that "everything else" is too slow i.e. not exactly usable.
12 >
13 > We get this a lot from our customers too, and the advise we give them
14 > is to look closely at their traffic throttling. In almost every case
15 > all UDP traffic has had the living crap throttled out of it somewhere
16 > by folk that don't really think things through, severely affecting
17 > dns and ntp as well as AV streaming.
18 >
19 > Throttled DNS rapidly gets out of hand, IIRC the last time we did some
20 > measurements it only takes around 5% of dns lookups to go wonky for the
21 > situation to rapidly spiral out of control - when dns fails the cache
22 > will try a TCP lookup and that's like wading through molasses.
23 >
24 > Our advice to customers is to first unthrottle dns and ntp completely,
25 > give it the highest possible priority (these are extremely light
26 > protocols and seldom show up on the radar when you do this), and see
27 > how that goes.
28 >
29 > It just seems to me that you *might* be trying a very unusual solution
30 > for a problem that is better handled one layer lower down.
33 Strictly speaking, my connection isn't too slow. I have a transfer
34 rate of 64 K/s (might sound ridiculous to you, but this costs 18$/mo
35 here).
36 OpenDNS lookups from my connection take something like 300 msec+ and
37 Google DNS lookups around 50 msec.
38
39 I can obviously use Google DNS, but as I said earlier, OpenDNS gives
40 me phishing protection and other that sort of stuff.
41
42 And hence I must use a local cache.
45 Nilesh Govindarajan
46 http://nileshgr.com