From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: journald refuses to put log files in /var/log/journal/ [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:46:20
1 On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 10:27 AM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I used systemctl to stop and restart systemd-journald, thinking I might
4 > see some useful error messages. But when systemd-journal started up
5 > again the journal file was back in /var/log/journal where I want it :)
6 >
7 > No idea why rebooting the machine didn't do the same thing.
10 Are you sure that it is solved, and that the problem won't recur on
11 the next reboot?
12
13 If it does, my next question (an educated guess, but a guess) would be
14 whether you're using an initramfs, and if so which one. Dracut in
15 particular launches journald, but it should move its output to
16 /var/log/journal after pivoting to the new root. It is actually nice
17 because your log contains early boot data which of course would not be
18 present in syslog unless it ended up in the ring buffer. However,
19 perhaps something is going wrong with that. I'd also look at anything
20 that might be causing issues with /var/log/journal when journald is
21 launched, such as that directory being on an unmounted filesystem and
22 there not being some dependency that causes journald to notice.
23 Systemd is pretty smart about spotting mount dependencies, but I've
24 seen it make mistakes in unusual configurations and I don't know what
25 the full logic is.
28 Rich