From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: journald refuses to put log files in /var/log/journal/ [SOLVED]
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 14:27:45
1 On 09/22/2014 08:50 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> My main desktop machine is obviously having a brain fart :(
4 >>
5 >> systemd-journald is allegedly obligated to write its journal files
6 >> to /var/log/journal/ *if* that directory exists, right?
7 >>
8 >> Well, on my three other gentoo ~amd64 machines, that's exactly what
9 >> journald does.
10 >>
11 >> But not on my everyday work machine, oh no. I'd be daft to expect
12 >> my one main everyday machine to obey the rules, right?
13 >>
14 >> On this machine (the one I'm using now) journald is writing its
15 >> files to /run/log/journal/ instead of /var/log/journal/
16 >>
17 >> # ls -l /var/log/journal/
18 >> total 4
19 >> drwxr-sr-x 2 root systemd-journal-remote 4096 Sep 22 14:39 remote
20 >>
21 >> #ls -l /var/log/journal/remote/
22 >> total 0
25 >> The *.conf files in /etc/systemd/ are the same on all machines:
26 >> all of the config items are commented out, as sys-apps/systemd
27 >> installed them.
28 >>
29 >> So, why is this particular machine not behaving like the others?
30 >
31 > Hi Walt; the relevant documentation is from man 8 systemd-journald:
32 >
33 > "By default, the journal stores log data in /run/log/journal/. Since
34 > /run/ is volatile, log data is lost at reboot. To make the data
35 > persistent, it is sufficient to create /var/log/journal/ where
36 > systemd-journald will then store the data."
37 >
38 > So, in the failing machine the journal is not flushing its volatile
39 > data to /var. I would suspect a permissions issue. Could you please
40 > post the output from:
41 >
42 > # ls -ld /var/log/journal
43 >
44 > In my main machine, this is:
45 >
46 > drwxr-sr-x 3 root systemd-journal 4096 Oct 28 2012 /var/log/journal
47 >
48 > So its 2755; all permissions for root, read and execution (with SETGID
49 > bit on), and read and execution for everyone else. The directory is
50 > owned by root, and it's on the systemd-journal group.
51
52 Thanks, Rich and Canek. I fixed the problem by accident while trying
53 to debug it.
54
55 I used systemctl to stop and restart systemd-journald, thinking I might
56 see some useful error messages. But when systemd-journal started up
57 again the journal file was back in /var/log/journal where I want it :)
58
59 No idea why rebooting the machine didn't do the same thing.
60
61 Thanks.