From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 15:29:31
1 On 05/21/15 10:57, Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 >> I just wasted some time figuring out this mess:
4 >>
5 >> I just updated google-chrome, which printed this confusing warning message:
6 >>
7 >> "CONFIG_USED_NS not seen when it should be"
8 >>
9 >> First, there's a typo: it should read "CONFIG_USER_NS"
10 >> ^
11 >>
12 >> Then, after I figured out that CONFIG_USER_NS is a kernel config item,
13 >> requiring reinstallation of my kernel, I wasted more time figuring out
14 >> (for the n'th time) that you shouldn't just change a single kernel config
15 >> item and do "make" because that shortcut can break important things.
16 >>
17 >> No, you should do "make clean" first, and then do "make" etc.
18 > Doesn't "make clean" clear out your config? I've changed one thing
19 > before and just run "make" and it work just fine.
20 >
21 > Dale
22 >
27 No, "make clean" does not clear your config. It depends on what you
28 change - I guess their Makefiles/Kconfig doesn't specify all the
29 dependencies for CONFIG_USER_NS. If you're on a decent machine, the
30 kernel builds pretty quick anyways, and a clean build will always be
31 correct.
32
33 Alec