From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting idea
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:57:22
1 Grant wrote:
2 > How exactly are legitimate messages lost through greylisting? I've
3 > come up with these:
4 >
5 > 1. legitimate messages that don't retry (someone mentioned Amazon
6 > newsletters)
7
8 The postgrey whitelist included in the build covers some of the major
9 ones. I'd question these being legitimate emails and I'd question this
10 being a legitimate way to run your mail system, but this is where you'd
11 likely see mail lost.
12
13 > 2. legitimate messages that take longer than the maximum specified
14 > retry period to retry (has anyone run into a mail server that takes
15 > longer than a day to retry?)
16
17 No. Most I've seen is 12 hours at a small DSL provider in LA. The
18 fastest is Hotmail at 30 seconds.
19
20 > 3. legitimate messages that retry from a different server each time
21 > they retry (someone mentioned that they have seen this)
22
23 I've seen Dreamhost do this and I still can't fathom the idea behind it.
24 unless webserver outgoing connections are originating from a NAT DHCP
25 pool or something weird. However setting the IP check to be the first 24
26 bits, aka match on the class C, makes this go away in every case I'm
27 aware of.
28
29 In cases 2 and 3 the original mail sender would get their email returned
30 after the standard four day timeout whereas the mail goes completely
31 into the ether in case 1.
32
33 kashani
34 --