From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Greylisting idea
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 23:38:26
1 > > Greylisting seems to be the most effective way of eliminating unwanted
2 > > email. The problem is that it also has the potential to eliminate a
3 > > legitimate email. Couldn't a feature be added to greylisting software
4 > > that dispatches an email to the sender of any email that is
5 > > temporarily rejected and doesn't retry within a certain amount of
6 > > time? The email could say something like, "Your message of {date} was
7 > > rejected as possible spam. Please call us at {phone_number}."
8 > >
9 > > - Grant
10 >
11 > I'd just configure a retry time of something large if you're worried
12 > about it. IIRC the default is one day and you could raise it to two days
13 > on a slow system without worrying that the db is getting too large.
14
15 How exactly are legitimate messages lost through greylisting? I've
16 come up with these:
17
18 1. legitimate messages that don't retry (someone mentioned Amazon newsletters)
19
20 2. legitimate messages that take longer than the maximum specified
21 retry period to retry (has anyone run into a mail server that takes
22 longer than a day to retry?)
23
24 3. legitimate messages that retry from a different server each time
25 they retry (someone mentioned that they have seen this)
26
27 - Grant
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list