From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:38:12
1 On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 17:53:29 -0600
2 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > As Alan said in other thread, it can be "fixed" (if you think is not
5 > right) for some very specific cases. Alan mentioned servers, really
6 > simple desktops with simple hotplug devices, and embedded systems. For
7 > mdev to "fix" the situation in the general case, it would have to
8 > cover all the setups udev covers. That means bluetooth devices
9 > (including keyboards and mice), USB soundcards, touch screens and the
10 > like, all of them being plugged and unplugged at any time in any
11 > order.
12 >
13 > Maybe someday mdev will be able to handle all the cases that udev
14 > does. If it does (which I honestly doubt), I'm pretty sure at that
15 > point it would have become as complex as udev, if not more, and it
16 > will probably need the same requirements that udev has. Including the
17 > simple one that for mounting a filesystem, the plumbing needed to
18 > mounting it has to be available before, and we cannot keep throwing
19 > everything directly on / so it can mount /usr.
20
21 I'm slowly coming round to this point of view too.
22
23 If you want a full blown desktop machine with all the modern bells and
24 whistles that always JustWorks(tm), realise that you have a complex
25 system needing complex software. And udev is designed to deal with
26 that. To accomplish this task, udev needs to apply some constraints.
27
28 For almost everything else, that sophistication is not needed and
29 simpler (i.e. less complex) software will suffice. Currently mdev (or
30 something else like it) fills that needs.
31
32 So 2 different scenarios with different solutions. Horses for courses.
35 Alan McKinnnon
36 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com