From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LVM, /usr and really really bad thoughts.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 23:54:50
1 On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Bruce Hill, Jr. wrote:
6 >> On March 12, 2012 at 2:30 PM Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Don't forget you're using Gentoo; you're implicitly not very far
9 >>> removed from the skill levels of the developers themselves.
10 >>>
11 >>>
12 >>> --
13 >>> :wq
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> Maybe you're not, but it only takes me a few minutes being around chithead
17 >> and NeddySeagoon for me to realize "I ain't gotta Gentoo clue!"
18 >> --
19 >> Happy Penguin Computers    >`)
20 >> 126 Fenco Drive            ( \
21 >> Tupelo, MS 38801            ^^
22 >> 662-269-2706; 662-491-8613
23 >> support at happypenguincomputers dot com
24 >> http://www.happypenguincomputers.com
29 > I like that quote.  I may not be dev material but I know this /usr mess
30 > is not right.  The only reason it is happening is because of one or two
31 > distros that push it to make it easier for themselves.
32
33 I have yet to see some hard evidence on this claim.
34
35 > I think mdev has shown it can be fixed.
36
37 As Alan said in other thread, it can be "fixed" (if you think is not
38 right) for some very specific cases. Alan mentioned servers, really
39 simple desktops with simple hotplug devices, and embedded systems. For
40 mdev to "fix" the situation in the general case, it would have to
41 cover all the setups udev covers. That means bluetooth devices
42 (including keyboards and mice), USB soundcards, touch screens and the
43 like, all of them being plugged and unplugged at any time in any
44 order.
45
46 Maybe someday mdev will be able to handle all the cases that udev
47 does. If it does (which I honestly doubt), I'm pretty sure at that
48 point it would have become as complex as udev, if not more, and it
49 will probably need the same requirements that udev has. Including the
50 simple one that for mounting a filesystem, the plumbing needed to
51 mounting it has to be available before, and we cannot keep throwing
52 everything directly on / so it can mount /usr. And BTW, the split
53 between /bin /usr/bin has always been idiotic and it was originally an
54 accident: you can read the true story of the split in
55
56 http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
57
58 But for the simple cases that Alan mentioned, the mdev solution is
59 perfectly fine if for some reason someone keeps refusing to use an
60 initramfs.
61
62 > Given time, it just may replace
63 > udev
64
65 I'm willing to bet a beer this will not happen.
66
67 > then the udev dev can screw up his own stuff on not bother other
68 > distros.
69
70 No one is forcing any part of the stack on anyone. The "other" distros
71 follows because it's the correct technical solution. At least I'm
72 convinced it is; I have yet to see some hard evidence on the contrary.
73
74 >  I'm giving mdev some thought here.  I want /usr on LVM which
75 > means it has to be separate.
76
77 And in this case an initramfs is the best option, so we can stop
78 polluting / with support for everything necessary under the sun (now
79 or in the future) for mounting /usr.
80
81 That's the way I see it anyhow. Doesn't stop mdev from being a beautiful hack.
82
83 Regards.
84 --
85 Canek Peláez Valdés