From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 recovery ... somehow
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 07:08:23
1 On Sunday, May 6, 2018 2:45:51 PM CEST tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I am running X11 with Nvidia-drivers 396.18-r1.
5 >
6 > From time to time I accidentally hit a key combo
7 > (ALT F*) and I am thrown to the LINUX console.
8 >
9 > Back in the years when one setups X11 by hand
10 > carefully inserting timings for the Cathod Ray Tube
11 > it was possible to swicth back with CTRL-ALT-F12
12 > (or was it ALT-F12).
13 >
14 > But this does not work for me.
15 >
16 > 1) For debugging purposes I would like to
17 > get a fully working switch between the
18 > Linux console and X11 back and forth.
19 > 2) If that is not possible see below.
20 >
21 > But!
22 > If I was accidentally thrown to the Linux console
23 > by my own eloborated usage of the keyboard (hrrrrmmmm)
24 > I am able to do the following:
25 >
26 > Login as myself (console login) and do another
27 > startx.
28 > This will start a new X11 session.
29 >
30 > Is it possible somehow to "take over" the original
31 > X11 session, which is still running in the background
32 > to cleanly ending the tasks running and waiting for
33 > my input?
34
35 When I switch to the console (using <CTRL>+<ALT>+F1), I usually find the X-
36 session by using <ALT>+<LEFT ARROW KEY> until I get to the X-session.
39 Joost