From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xine - no sound on DVDs - solved (sort of)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 22:02:56
1 On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On 9/19/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Have you played around with alsaconf and alsactl? Also, you should make
5 > > sure that there is no old asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc left in your system.
6 >
7 > I haven't. Not totally sure how I'd change anything by doing that.
8 > Both cards work with other apps. It's just xine that hard routing the
9 > audio to the second card, at least as far as I've seen so far.
10 > gmplayer routes DVD audio to the first card correctly.
11
12 Just an idea. I am not sure why your xine is behaving like this . . .
13
14 > > If two
15 > > cards are registered I would expect that xine will give you an option to
16 > > choose between the two.
17 >
18 > I think it does in the preferences area. It uses the Alsa language
19 > that only Alsa developers totally get but seems to end in :0 for card
20 > 0 and :1 for card 1. However I already have it set to card 0 but audio
21 > goes to card 1...
22
23 I'm flummoxed. It wouldn't be a udev rule that you have forgotten about . . .
24 but then this would not just affect xine.
25
26 > > BTW, you may also want to set your sound card in /etc/make.conf.
27 >
28 > I didn't know Gentoo changed the way that is done. Thanks. I've added
29 > it. It did not cause any changes in what gets built though.
30
31 With regards to your flags, I'd add ffmpeg. It installs the libavcodec for
32 enc/decoding a multitude of video and audio data types.
33
34 Good luck.
35 --
36 Regards,