From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xine - no sound on DVDs - solved (sort of)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:01:55
1 On 9/19/07, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Danilo Marcelo wrote:
3 > [snip]
4 >
5 > > 2007/9/18, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>:
6 >
7 > > > OK, xine does produce sound, but this machine has multiple sound
8 > > > cards and it's choosing the one that goes to the home theater system,
9 > > > not the PC's sound card:
10 >
11 > Have you played around with alsaconf and alsactl? Also, you should make sure
12 > that there is no old asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc left in your system.
13
14 I haven't. Not totally sure how I'd change anything by doing that.
15 Both cards work with other apps. It's just xine that hard routing the
16 audio to the second card, at least as far as I've seen so far.
17 gmplayer routes DVD audio to the first card correctly.
18
19 > If two
20 > cards are registered I would expect that xine will give you an option to
21 > choose between the two.
22
23 I think it does in the preferences area. It uses the Alsa language
24 that only Alsa developers totally get but seems to end in :0 for card
25 0 and :1 for card 1. However I already have it set to card 0 but audio
26 goes to card 1...
27 >
28 > BTW, you may also want to set your sound card in /etc/make.conf.
29 > --
30
31 I didn't know Gentoo changed the way that is done. Thanks. I've added
32 it. It did not cause any changes in what gets built though.
33
34 Thanks,
35 Mark
36 --