From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble starting bash
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 00:14:35
1 On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:29:27PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
2 > Your replies are much appreciated as we're in an area of Linux about
3 > which I'm poorly informed.
4 >
5 > Output (below) of "rc-status sysinit" indicated devfs stopped, so I
6 > started devfs (which didn't change /dev/pt*), then restarted udev
7 > (which didn't affect /dev/pt*).
8
9 Right, but can you ssh in to the machine now (or open a terminal
10 emulator in X)?
11
12 /dev/pts is just the mount point for the devpts pseudo filesystem. In
13 modern versions of linux the pts devices are created on-the-fly when
14 requested (as opposed to other versions and some modern unixes where
15 there will be a fixed number of device nodes under /dev/pts or
16 equivalent). All that just goes to say that if /dev/pts is empty
17 right after you restart the devfs service, it is normal. A device file
18 should be created automatically now when userspace programs demand it.
19 (E.g. if you now ssh in, and if it succeeds, ls /dev/pts should show
20 one entry.)
21
22 Try it, let me know if the problem is still there.
23
24 Cheers,
25
26 W
27 --
28 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
29 Data aequatione quotcunque fluentes quantitae involvente fluxiones invenire
30 et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton