From: David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble starting bash
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 04:08:50
1 On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:13:33 -0500
2 Willie Wong wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:29:27PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
5 > > Your replies are much appreciated as we're in an area of Linux about
6 > > which I'm poorly informed.
7 > >
8 > > Output (below) of "rc-status sysinit" indicated devfs stopped, so I
9 > > started devfs (which didn't change /dev/pt*), then restarted udev
10 > > (which didn't affect /dev/pt*).
11 >
12 > Right, but can you ssh in to the machine now (or open a terminal
13 > emulator in X)?
14 >
15 > /dev/pts is just the mount point for the devpts pseudo filesystem. In
16 > modern versions of linux the pts devices are created on-the-fly when
17 > requested (as opposed to other versions and some modern unixes where
18 > there will be a fixed number of device nodes under /dev/pts or
19 > equivalent). All that just goes to say that if /dev/pts is empty
20 > right after you restart the devfs service, it is normal. A device file
21 > should be created automatically now when userspace programs demand it.
22 > (E.g. if you now ssh in, and if it succeeds, ls /dev/pts should show
23 > one entry.)
24 >
25 > Try it, let me know if the problem is still there.
26
27 Nope. Both ssh and X terminal emulators are still broken. No change
28 in behavior.
29
30 FWIW, most of the entries in /dev are timestamped 02/02 23:34 which is
31 when I updated udev earlier this week. Today's upgrade/downgrade emerge
32 hasn't affected the timestamps.
33
34 A comparison of /etc/udev/rules.d to a saved copy didn't show
35 much. The only puzzling difference is:
36 --- 90-hal.rules (revision 51)
37 +++ 90-hal.rules (working copy)
38 @@ -1,2 +1,2 @@
39 # pass all events to the HAL daemon
40 -RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
41 +RUN+="socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
42
43 removing the "@" and restarting udev hasn't helped. Since the rule is
44 hal related, I also restarted hald -- which hasn't helped.