From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble starting bash
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:21:31
1 On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM, David Relson <relson@×××××××××××××.com>wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 19:13:33 -0500
4 > Willie Wong wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 06:29:27PM -0500, David Relson wrote:
7 > > > Your replies are much appreciated as we're in an area of Linux about
8 > > > which I'm poorly informed.
9 > > >
10 > > > Output (below) of "rc-status sysinit" indicated devfs stopped, so I
11 > > > started devfs (which didn't change /dev/pt*), then restarted udev
12 > > > (which didn't affect /dev/pt*).
13 > >
14 > > Right, but can you ssh in to the machine now (or open a terminal
15 > > emulator in X)?
16 > >
17 > > /dev/pts is just the mount point for the devpts pseudo filesystem. In
18 > > modern versions of linux the pts devices are created on-the-fly when
19 > > requested (as opposed to other versions and some modern unixes where
20 > > there will be a fixed number of device nodes under /dev/pts or
21 > > equivalent). All that just goes to say that if /dev/pts is empty
22 > > right after you restart the devfs service, it is normal. A device file
23 > > should be created automatically now when userspace programs demand it.
24 > > (E.g. if you now ssh in, and if it succeeds, ls /dev/pts should show
25 > > one entry.)
26 > >
27 > > Try it, let me know if the problem is still there.
28 >
29 > Nope. Both ssh and X terminal emulators are still broken. No change
30 > in behavior.
31 >
32 > FWIW, most of the entries in /dev are timestamped 02/02 23:34 which is
33 > when I updated udev earlier this week. Today's upgrade/downgrade emerge
34 > hasn't affected the timestamps.
35 >
36 > A comparison of /etc/udev/rules.d to a saved copy didn't show
37 > much. The only puzzling difference is:
38 > --- 90-hal.rules (revision 51)
39 > +++ 90-hal.rules (working copy)
40 > @@ -1,2 +1,2 @@
41 > # pass all events to the HAL daemon
42 > -RUN+="socket:/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
43 > +RUN+="socket:@/org/freedesktop/hal/udev_event"
44 >
45 > removing the "@" and restarting udev hasn't helped. Since the rule is
46 > hal related, I also restarted hald -- which hasn't helped.
49 What happens if you do:
50
51 mount -t devpts none /dev/pts
52