From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr [was: Clock is way off]
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 23:12:55
1 On Wed, 09 May 2007 15:49:45 -0600, darren kirby wrote:
2
3 > I have heard you can use a separate /usr to enhance security by
4 > mounting it readonly under normal circumstances. This way, bad guys
5 > can't mess with your binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin,
6
7 Instead of only being able to get at the really important stuff in /bin
8 and /sbin?
9
10 > I do have a separate /usr, but do not mount it readonly, as I --sync
11 > enough to make remounting it daily rather annoying.
12
13 1) Use a script to remount /usr, sysnc, remount /usr
14
15 2) Much better, use a separate filesystem for /usr/portage (or put it
16 on /var)
17
18 3) Better still,
19 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#Make_A_Sparse_File_to_create_portage_in
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 "One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft Promotional Ad
26 "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler