From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr [was: Clock is way off]
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 21:59:17
1 quoth the Benno Schulenberg:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 09 May 2007 12:05:05 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 > > > I think you are supposed to link that localtime file instead of
5 > > > copying. If the file in zoneinfo gets updated then the one in
6 > > > /etc will still be the old one.
7 > >
8 > > You are not supposed to link it any more, because that will break
9 > > if /usr has not yet been mounted.
10 >
11 > Are there (still) people who have /usr on a separate partition?
12 > And if so, why?
13
14 I have heard you can use a separate /usr to enhance security by mounting it
15 readonly under normal circumstances. This way, bad guys can't mess with your
16 binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin, though it seems to me if they have access
17 to mess with your /usr they can mess with anything anyway so...
18
19 I do have a separate /usr, but do not mount it readonly, as I --sync enough to
20 make remounting it daily rather annoying.
21
22 > I only have /home and /usr/portage on separate partitions,
23 > everything else is on /, even /boot.
24 >
25 > Benno
26
27 -d
28 --
29 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
30 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
31 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list