From: "Александър Л. Димитров" <aleks_d@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sendmail woes
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 02:42:29
1 On 08:14 Mon 16 Jul , reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Yes it is and in my experience you will get help there. Keep your
3 > fingers crossed for Per Hedlund to respond if you do post there.
4
5 Thanks. I'll RTFS as soon as I finish my last exam (Wednesday - I guess
6 *that's* what I'm keeping my fingers crossed for atm... ;-) ) and if I
7 don't find the reason I'll look into the sendmail mailing list.
8
9 > I don't remember the exact reasons or format but I believe sendmail
10 > calls `gethostbyname' which looks first at /etc/hosts.
11
12 Yes, I read that in the docs. I made up the domain .local and
13 everything's completely fine now - I just wonder _why exactly_ sendmail
14 needs to have an imaginatory domain name.
15
16 > A further point about documentation... you may have mentioned this
17 > but I did not see it.
18 >
19 > The document /usr/share/sendmail-cf/README
20 > Has a lot of help but may be thin on exact details at times.
21
22 Thanks, I've read through most of the stuff in the /usr/share/doc/sendmail*/
23 directory and also through the online docs at sendmail.org and a lot of
24 stuff on the net I googled for (like installation instructions for
25 majordomo). They all essentially say that sendmail.cf should have one of
26 the following: either `Tuser' or `Ctuser' or
27 `Ft/file/with/trusted/users'. I tried all of them and though
28
29 # egrep '^T' sendmail.cf
30 Troot
31 Tdaemon
32 Tuucp
33 Taleks
34
35 seems to be OK I still don't seem to have any luck. I usually generate
36 sendmail.cf through m4 and senmdmail.mc, but even with editing
37 sendmail.cf manually I don't get any results...
38
39 Thanks,
40 Aleks