From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 17:35:56
1 On Saturday 23 Jul 2011 17:49:53 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:55:11 -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 > > I'm actually speaking from experience here: the first thing
4 > > I did on my Inspiron was wipe the HD and install Gentoo,
5 > > only to learn that the wireless card was faulty. And since I
6 > > could not run the standard Windows diagnostics they couldn't
7 > > (wouldn't?) help me.
8 > >
9 > > So I booted the restore CD, put Windows back, and got a new
10 > > NIC within about a week.
11 >
12 > What would you have done if the hard drive had failed?
13 >
14 > I always image the windows disk and then wipe it, but I'm aware that
15 > this is not completely reliable. some failures make restoration
16 > impossible.
17
18 Yes, that's why I usually install Gentoo as a dual boot on a new machine.
19
20 On the other hand, if the drive is dead what is Dell/HP/etc going to do? Take
21 it apart and run forensics on the platters? O_O
22 --
23 Regards,
24 Mick