From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:46:37
1 On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 06:39:27 -0600
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > > Am Samstag, 18. Februar 2012, 06:00:00 schrieb Dale:
6 >
7 > >>
8 > >> I don't really think they can unless they just cut power to all the
9 > >> computers. After all, the internet is supposed to be redundant
10 > >> right? If there is a few computers still running that have a
11 > >> connection, it is still working. Sort of anyway.
12 > >>
13 > >> Does make one wonder tho. They have been talking about having a
14 > >> internet "off switch" but I'm not sure it would be that easy.
15 > >
16 > > basically, yes. Take down the core routers and backbones and
17 > > everything falls apart.
20 > But how long would it take to actually do this?
21 >
22 > Another thing, the Government, especially the military, uses the
23 > internet too.
24
25 Not quite. They use the same internet *technology* you do, not
26 necessarily the same internet *devices*.
30 Alan McKinnnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com