From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 15:36:31
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 06:39:27 -0600
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
6 >>> Am Samstag, 18. Februar 2012, 06:00:00 schrieb Dale:
7 >>
8 >>>>
9 >>>> I don't really think they can unless they just cut power to all the
10 >>>> computers. After all, the internet is supposed to be redundant
11 >>>> right? If there is a few computers still running that have a
12 >>>> connection, it is still working. Sort of anyway.
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Does make one wonder tho. They have been talking about having a
15 >>>> internet "off switch" but I'm not sure it would be that easy.
16 >>>
17 >>> basically, yes. Take down the core routers and backbones and
18 >>> everything falls apart.
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> But how long would it take to actually do this?
22 >>
23 >> Another thing, the Government, especially the military, uses the
24 >> internet too.
25 >
26 > Not quite. They use the same internet *technology* you do, not
27 > necessarily the same internet *devices*.
32 What about banks? Credit cards? Heck, even food stamp cards? Would
33 phones work? I'm not just thinking about Vonage or Skype either.
34
35 When you think about all this stuff, it could get scary. If the
36 internet went down, even by accident somehow, what all would we lose and
37 not realize it?
38
39 Dale
40
44 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
45 how you interpreted my words!
46
47 Miss the compile output? Hint:
48 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"