From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Somewhat OT: Any truth to this mess?
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:19:41
1 On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 06:39:27 -0600
4 >> Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
7 >>>> Am Samstag, 18. Februar 2012, 06:00:00 schrieb Dale:
8 >>>
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> I don't really think they can unless they just cut power to all the
11 >>>>> computers.  After all, the internet is supposed to be redundant
12 >>>>> right? If there is a few computers still running that have a
13 >>>>> connection, it is still working.  Sort of anyway.
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>> Does make one wonder tho.  They have been talking about having a
16 >>>>> internet "off switch" but I'm not sure it would be that easy.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> basically, yes. Take down the core routers and backbones and
19 >>>> everything falls apart.
20 >>>>
21 >>>
22 >>> But how long would it take to actually do this?
23 >>>
24 >>> Another thing, the Government, especially the military, uses the
25 >>> internet too.
26 >>
27 >> Not quite. They use the same internet *technology* you do, not
28 >> necessarily the same internet *devices*.
33 > What about banks?  Credit cards?  Heck, even food stamp cards?  Would
34 > phones work?  I'm not just thinking about Vonage or Skype either.
35
36 Banks, credit cards, etc. mostly operate on leased lines (Think T1,
37 T2, T3...) and landlines (point-of-sale vending, though that's
38 changing. ATMs also operate on landlines, and I don't believe that's
39 changing.).
40
41 You'd still have access to your money. You'd just have to go to a bank
42 branch or an ATM.
43
44 This whole thread is full panicked reasoning. The biggest risk we face
45 is a scenario like Iran or Egypt's, where the government requires
46 controls on border routers. Most likely, they'd do it at the ISP
47 level, not at the core router level. That said, they could conceivably
48 demand core router operators acquiesce to their demands, but the worst
49 you're likely to see there is some network blocks' being dropped
50 offline.
51
52 And it's not so easy to take the Internet down with injected BGP
53 routes any more, either; most network operators apply some sort of
54 filtering.
57 :wq